The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Interview with David Trulli

Q)Something about you…what you want…

A)I was born in 1960 in New York and have lived in Los Angeles, California since 1979. I used to be a cinematographer until 4 years ago, when I became a full-time artist. I work primarily in “scratchboard” – wood, covered with white clay, which is then covered with black ink. I use very fine knives to scratch through the ink, creating white lines.
I want to create the things I want to create, and still pay the rent. That’s all.



Q) What are your main goals when you create?

A)I hope to create art that means something to me and, hopefully, others. I don’t always know what it will mean in the end, but I want it to touch people in some way.

Q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

A)I think I have a “world view,” a way that I look at things. That way of seeing informs all that I do. At times I might have a specific theme that is on my mind, but I try not to let that rule my work. I believe in working intuitively and allowing myself to go off on a tangent.

Q)How has the internet and your website helped you spread your artwork to a wider audience?

A)The viral nature of the internet is extremely powerful. My work has been exposed to people all over the world simply because they stumbled upon it. This interview wouldn’t have occurred if not for the internet. My website is a 24 hour a day gallery, open to all.
I also have a “myspace” page, which has introduced my work to even more people.

Q)How do you define your style and how would you describe your art to someone who could not see it?

A)I described the medium above, so I’ll concentrate on the content.
I think my work illuminates the beauty, wonder, angst and terror of living in the modern, technological world.



Q)What materials do you use to realize your creations?

A)Wood, ink, clay and acrylic. I also do some etchings on copper and zinc plates.

Q) What is your favorite a) taste b) sound c) sight d) scent e) tactile sensation?

A)a-Almost any pasta dish (I am Italian-American, after all).
b-A cat purring
c-I find all women beautiful to look at
d-Coffee
e-Caressing my wife

Q) What are you doing now…your current projects…

A)I am always creating new scratchboard work. Since I just had a show I need to create a new body of work.
I am also involved with a project called “L.A. Ethos.” A gallery here has lined their walls with blank canvas and invited working Los Angeles based artists to paint on it during the gallery’s business hours. The artists are supposed to reflect on a series of questions regarding LA and art, and let that come out in there painting. It has been a lot of fun and is an interesting show.

Q) Do you listen to music while you’re creating and what do you listen and what do you like to listen?

A)Yes, I listen to music all the time. My tastes are varied and include jazz, classical and electronic, but mostly I listen to punk rock.

Q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians, books…?

A)Yes. I think my inspiration comes from the totality of my life, not just one or two artists. Art, music, books, movies are all important. Just walking around the city, watching the people and places, is important too.



Q)Name 3 things you couldn’t create without?

A)Time alone, a sensitivity to the world around me and a crushing self-awareness.

Q) Where have you show your art…?

A)I have had solo shows at the Copro/Nason Gallery, the Earl McGrath Gallery, Gallery 825 and Gallery Figueroa, all in Los Angeles. I have been in any group shows as well.

This year I hope to show my work in other cities and other countries.

Q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

A)I’ve never painted with oil paints. I would like to create a graphic novel someday too.

Q) How important is self-promotion for an artist nowadays?

A)It’s always been important.

Q) Would you say that your work consciously reflects characters and situations found within your daily life?

A)Yes, definitely.



Q) Favourite book?

A)“On the Road” by Jack Kerouac. “Sputnik Sweetheart” by Haruki Murakami

Q) Designers/Artists you admire?

A)George Tooker, Edward Hopper, wood enngravers Lynd Ward and Paul Landacre, just to name a few.

Q) Your contacts….e-mail…links…

A) Email:
David@davidtrulli.com

http://www.DavidTrulli.com
http://www.myspace.com/davidtrulli

3 Comments:

Blogger Hans said...

David, I really like your work !
Thanks for the Interview.

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool!

4:26 AM  
Blogger Uncle Jesse said...

great work! i've admired your stuff in shows for awhile now. good to read an interview with you. i'm a big fan of Tooker too. thanks.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home