The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Interview with Bill Barminski

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a) I am Bill Barminski. I was born in Chicago, Illinois in 1962. But I really grew up in Ft. Worth, Texas.

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live in Los Angeles, California and work in my spacious 2 car studio.

q) How did you started? How have you realized you wanted to become an artist?

a)I can't remember a time when I wasn't drawing pictures. But as I grew up I never really considered becoming an artist. In college I was doing artwork but the only people involved in art that I knew who were making any money were commercial artists. I tried that but didn't like it so much. There was on distinct day where I was laying on the couch and I was starting at my hands and I thought.."well, I'm going to make my way in the world with these. And if I am going to try to be an "artist" well, then I best resolve myself to the idea that I might be broke all my life. "




q) What's your favorite medium to work in, and why?

a)I am torn between straight up painting and working in video and animation. I like them both but they are so different. You really have to be in a different frame of mind when you do each. I also write music. So I am really divided in my interests.

q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians, books…?

a)I draw influence from many sources but I don't go and look at much contemporary art. I find that when I do I see stuff the is similar to what I might be planning on doing. Then I think..crap...I can't do that now.

q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a)Currently I work in several directions. I am know for my figurative work but I do abstract work too. But my galleries don't really want to show that work so it mostly hangs at my house. Eventually I'll do a whole show of abstract paintings. Maybe even under a different name.

q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)I really want to do a massive show that really iincludes all the media that I work in. I'd like for there to be paintings and drawings and for each painting there would be short film about the painting. Or maybe a song about the painting. All of this would be inside of a complete environment installation. Perhaps a whole house built inside a gallery space. I have done this on a small scale before but would like to do it fully.



q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Well...there are a few. People like Tim Biskup, Gary Baseman.

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)for a painting, it usually takes 2-3 days. Then it sits on the wall and I go back and make changes every now and then if it needs it.

q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)I listen to all kinds of music. A lot of small label stuff. The Shins, Mojave 3, Galaxie 500. But I really love old school country music too. I have a big collection fo country, but only stuff recorded between 1955 and 1975. I'm really into punk too. And sometimes I'm listening to talk radio.

q) Do you do many art shows?

a)I usually do at least one show a year. I have done so until recently. But I'm doing a lot of video work lately so I may only do a small drawing show this year and begin on some large paintings for a show in 08.

q) Favorite clothing setup?

a)huh? like pants and a t-shirt I guess. black old school sneakers. I really like old school polyester/cotton blend short sleeve button shirts from Sears.



q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)I'm either sleeping, thinking about creating something or having a beer.

q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)No. not at all. I'm glad to see them go.

q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?

a)Right now i'm focusing on some video projects but I'm sort of planning my next group of paintings. They are going to be about or focus on the use of word bubbles. Not the cartoony word bubbles. Word bubbles that contain text date back to Renisannce paintings. They sort of look like long sauages in some cases. So I want to use these really gothic script and word bubbles as part of a set of paintings of contemporary scenes such as an office. I also want to create sculptures of these word bubbles.

q) Describe your work space.

a)I have always worked at home. So ever studio I have used has been my garage. Currently I have a 2 car garage and a office next to it for my computer work. I'd like to build a studio in the back at some point.



q) What kind of projects/shows have you been involved in?

a)I have been involved in a lot of things. I did a music video for Baz Lurhman for instance. I also designed a mechanical bill board for Absolut that was on the Sunset Strip for 2 years. I just finished doing an animation project for Nokia. In my own work I have designed and manufactured gas masks that look like cartoon characters. I also teach in the Film and Television Department at UCLA.

q)your contacts….e-mail…links

a)My website is

www.barminski.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home